Traditionally khichdi itself indicates grandma recipe . But nowadays health conscious people try to avoid taking white rice in their meal as it feels heaviness and add high calories. Brown rice seems healthier as comparison to white rice but most of the people doesn’t well aware” how to cook brown rice healthy and tasty”. Assumptions are likely to come as brown rice are not taste as good as white rice.
Brown rice khichdi is easy to prepare and very nutritive in nature. Brown rice is full of fiber, vitamins and low glycemic index which helps you in weight loss programs. Brown rice also contains antioxidants and minerals which supplements to our immune system. In addition of lentils (pulses) enriches with good amount of protein, makes the brown rice as tastier as white rice. If want to add some vegetables into brown rice khichdi, then it becomes a complete meal. Brown rice khichdi is very good for children, pregnant women and diabetes people as it is easy to digestible and rich in magnesium. Brown rice khichdi is well known as detox diet.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3/4 cup lentils (Green moong dal ) /Yellow moong dal
- 1-2 green chillies chopped
- 1-2 red chillies whole
- 3/4 cloves of garlic, mashed and chopped
- 1/2 ginger as per taste
- 1 onion chopped
- Pinch of hing( asafoetida) for good digestion
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1tsp cummin (jeera) seed
- 1/4 tsp methi seed
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbs Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp vegetable oil/ olive oil/ pure ghee
- 3 cup of water
Vegetables if required to add into brown rice khichdi
- 1/2 bowl carrot
- 1/2 bowl cauliflower
- 1/2 bowl peas
- 1 small potato ( recommended specially for children)
- 1/2 bowl french beans
- 1/2 bowl spring onion
- 1/2 bowl coriander leaves for flavor
- 4/5 of curry leaves or 1 bay leaves
Method to cook brown rice khichdi
- Rinse the brown rice properly as it is having arsenic chemicals and lentils with running water.
- Soak the brown rice and lentils ( moong dal) for half an hour.
- Add 3 cup of water in a pressure cooker with soaked brown rice and moong daal.
- If you want to make it more healthier, then add washed vegetable along-with brown rice and moong dal.( Add another 1 cup of water for vegetables). Vegetables are adding directly before stirr fry in oil because it consumes more oil and time.
- Pressure cook for 4 whistle as brown rice take little more time to cook as compare to white rice.
- Remove from heat and let the steam escape on its own before opening the cooker.
- Take another pan into medium flame and add ghee/ oil into it.
- Add hing into the oil and then mustard seed. When mustard seeds start sprinkle, then add cummin seed, curry leaves, green chilies and whole red chilies. Saute for 2 min.
- Add garlic or ginger along with chopped onions and saute for 5 min.
- Pour chopped tomatoes into the above stuff and saute for another 5 min.
- When its cook properly, then add brown rice , lentils with vegetables.
- Mix them properly.
- Serve hot with some pappad, pickles or 1 bowl of curd.
Prepare it at home and serve to family. And share your experiences!!!!!